Rat auditory vs. olfactory localization

symons2 at sscl.uwo.ca symons2 at sscl.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 13 12:34:01 EST 1992

In article <MARVIT.92Nov6105651 at cattell.psych.upenn.edu>, marvit at cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Peter Marvit) writes:
> In article <2AF5CD17.23765 at ics.uci.edu> rmyers at ics.uci.edu (Richard E. Myers) writes:
>      I'm suspicious that perhaps rats naturally search for odors, but are
>    naturally disinclined to hunt for novel sounds.
>
>      Does anyone know of researchers currenly working on auditory
>    discrimination experiments that involve the animal localizing the
>    positive sound/tone in space? (as opposed to the stationary pushing of
>    levers)
>
> One basic problem you face is understanding what ecologically valid
> sounds might be for which rats would want to localize. A practical
> problem is that there is virtually no data (physiological or
> psychophysical) on rat audition or auditory system; that is, I know of
> none and neither do a handful of hearing scientists I know.  Remember
> also that rats apparently hear best in the 15K-30K Hertz range; special
> equipment will be necessary to provide and measure appropriate stimuli.
>
> 	-Peter "prefers people" Marvit
> --
> : Peter Marvit <marvit at cattell.psych.upenn.edu>                            :
> : Psychology Department,  University of Pennsylvania                       :
> : 3815 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA  19104  w:215/898-9208  h:215/387-6433 :

sorry, i don't know enough about this stupid vms editor to delete extra stuff
from this quote.

my former m.a. advisor and i performed a variety of experiments with long-evans
rats on their ability to use auditory stimuli for timing and spatial location
skills.  look up stuff by Richard Tees, Glenda Midgley, and myself, Larry
Symons.  much of it is in Developmental Psychobiology.  also check out stuff
by Jack Kelly (at Carleton U.) he performed a variety of experiments on
auditory localization in a variety of rodent species.  i can check around
if you want more.  i'll send you a reprint of my stuff if you want that too.
sincerely,
larry symons,
dept. psychology, U. western ontario