Alzheimer's disease

Joseph T. Devlin jdevlin at pollux.usc.edu
Sun Nov 22 17:18:53 EST 1992

  In Alzheimer's disease two of the neuropathological conditions
mentioned most frquently are the presence of neurofibrillary
tangles and overproduction of beta-amyloid leading to plaque
formation.  As often as I see this information, however, I never
have seen any suggestions as to how these affect the normal
processing characteristics of a neuron.  Presumably since both
are pathological they have some affects which might very well differ
between cell types or even among cell types but I haven't come
across this information if that is so.
  For tangles I would assume this might affect process lengths
if only because they damage cytoskeletal elements.  I have
no idea what effect plaques might have.
  Can anyone answer any of these questions or perhaps point me
towards appropriate references?  In the event these are still
unanswered questions would anyone care to speculate on the
effects?
  Thank you all in advance.

							- Joe

Joseph Devlin                      * email: jdevlin at pollux.usc.edu
University of Southern California  *
Department of Computer Science     * "The axon doesn't think.
Los Angeles, CA 90089              *  It just ax."  George Bishop