breakfast and brain health

Rong Shen rs69 at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 12 18:08:59 EST 1992

Hi Everyone:

	A while ago someone posted an article about losing brain
capacity while working in labs. I thought it was a joke until I heard
from my mother yesterday that not eating breakfast would really make
people stupid over a long period of time.

	This is the story. A reporter for a newspaper wrote that a
doctor in Japan did some clinical research on the corelation between
productivity and breakfast; he found that all the students in medical
school who did not do well academically and all the graduates who had
not received licenses for medical practice did not have the habit of
eating breakfast. Since neurons are unable to metabolize proteins or
other cell constituents, once the glucose concentration in the blood
falls, the brain can not function to its full capacity.

	Well, I also do not have the habit of eating breakfast. After
dinner, I usually study till early morning WITHOUT eating anything in
the meantim; in the morning, I am so sleepy and so hungry that I do
not have the strength to get up, and so I miss breakfasts perpetually.
No wonder my mind is not as sharp as it was in high school, when my
mother made breakfasts, and no wonder I have become so skinny.

	I think if I adopt a healthier habit, I can restore my mind to
its former glory. But the guy who posted the article about losing
neurons in the lab instilled a vast fear in me: I am afraid that,
having starved myself for four semesters, I have lost so many neurons
that the dullness of my mind has become permanent, irrevokable by any
healthy habits.

	All comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

------
rs69 at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

	(If I am posting this article to the wrong group, I will
cancel it.)