Rewiring.

D.J. Stehouwer steh at webb.psych.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 19 15:50:36 EST 1992

In article <1992Oct12.211959.19959 at news.yale.edu> wu at fred.med.yale.edu writes:

>  Hi netters,
>  Can any one give me an example of a group of neurons rewiring into circuits for different functions?
>JY Wu

This is probably a common feature among animals that undergo complete metamorphosis.  Check out James Truman's, Janice Weeks', and Richard Levine's work on
remodelling of the tobacco hornworm moth's CNS during
metamorphosis.  Also, look up Keith Alley's work on reorganization of trigeminal
projections to jaw musculature during amphibian metamorphosis.  Finally, I am
publishing a review, to come out in the final 1992 issue of the Journal of
Neurobiology, which discusses reoganization of locomotor controls in the frog
during metamorphosis.

I suspect that such reoganization occurs during ontogeny of mammals, as well,
but it is probably more subtle.

Hope this helps,

Donald J. Stehouwer