neuron-silicon interface?

Ulf Andrick [Biologie] andrick at sun.rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Oct 30 11:36:08 EST 1992

kevin at neuron.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
: In <Bww3F3.zE at news.cso.uiuc.edu> Jeremy Payne  writes:
: >FRICHARD at biomed.med.yale.edu (Frank Richardson) writes:
: >
: >>Hello all,
: >>Just curious, does anyone know of research into interfacing neurons and silicon
: >>chips? I'm very serious. I am interested in exploring possibilites for neurons
: >>communicating with electronics and vic-versa.
: >>Danke,
: >>FR
: >
: >Yup,
: >there's some work being done with thin Si wafers impregnated with closely spaced
: >laser ablated pores, I think out at Stanford, but of course I can't remember who
: >or exactly where off the top of my head.  In a nutshell, they section I _think_
: >the peroneal nerve in a rat then butt the two stumps up against opposite sides
: >of their wafer and let the fibers regrow through the pores.  At the seminar I
: >heard a year or so ago they claimed something reasonably impressive like 25 %
: >of the proximal fibers finding their appropriate targets.  What's really cool of
: >course is that you can embed electrodes in the chip at the sites of the pores...
: >Sorry I can't be specific about who, what, when & where, but if it helps you
: >the guy giving the seminar (whose name of course I also don't recall) does work
: >on silastic cochlear implants and is pretty well known.
: >
: >Jeremy Payne
:
: I remember reading an abstract on some work being done at the VA research
: hospital near Stanford where they were doing something similar.  The plan was
: to decrease recovery time in nerve grafts after amputations by electronically
: remapping the fibers on both sides of the sever.  Interesting stuff, but I
: don't have the reference anymore...  (sorry)
:
: 						kevin
:
I came across a short notice about people from Stanford
implanting chips into nerves for prothetical purposes. I don't
know if their work is related to what the previous posters
told about, I haven't read the notice so carefully. The names are
G. Kovacs, I. Rosen, B. Widrow, C. Storment. The notice appeared
in August 1990 in Spektrum der Wissenschaften, the German version
of Scientific American.

Ulf R. Andrick                                andrick at rhrk.uni-kl.de
FB Biologie - Tierphysiologie
Universitaet                             Was du nicht selber weiszt,
D-W 6750 Kaiserslautern       das muszt du dir erklaeren (Tegtmeier)