Glutamine

Douglas Fitts dfitts at carson.u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 1 00:19:01 EST 1993

jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU (M. Jane Harper) writes:

>Today in our neuroscience lecture the prof said that peptides and other
>molecules which act as neurotransmitters couldn't get past the blood-
>brain barrier and had to be manufactured within the CNS.  Several of us
>wondered whether this means that all the glutamine within the CNS is
>made within the CNS [by transamination?]... does anyone have any data
>on this?

>Thanks in advance.

Peptides and other blood borne hormones can pass the blood-brain barrier
at circumventricular organs, which are midline structures that lack a
blood-brain barrier.  They are specialized for detecting hormones and
other neuromodulators in the blood and transmitting the information to
the inside of the blood-brain barrier.  Other peptides, such as insulin,
are directly transported into the CNS.

CVOs include the subfornical organ, the area postrema, the organum
vasculosum lamina terminalis, the median eminence, and others.

Doug
dfitts at u.washington.edu