Excess Ca++ ions and adverse effects on the brain

Rogene Eichler Pharm-NeuroSci rogene at lenti.med.umn.edu
Wed Apr 7 18:43:15 EST 1993

In article <1pshno$mv9 at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> kxm17 at po.CWRU.Edu (Keith Marcinowski) writes:

>   I'm a graduate student in the Chemistry Dept. and have been doing some
>reading on the effects of excess calcium ions in the brain.  Is there some
>type of mechanism that can explain the neurotoxic effect of the calcium
>ions? Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                                Thanks,
>                                                Keith J. Marcinowski

Check out:

The Mechanism of Cerebral Hypoxic-Ischemic Damage. Schurr and Rigor.
	Hippocampus Vol. 2, No. 3, 1992, pp 221-228.

Also, anything by  D.W. Choi is a sure-fire source.
[ Trends in Neuroscience, 1988, 11:465 ]

						Cheers!

							-Rogene

			Rogene M. Eichler West

 Neuroscience Program                  Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
University of Minnesota         Army High Performance Computing Research Center

AHPCRC: (612)626-8082                     1100 Washington Ave South
Home:   (612)292-0573 			   Suite 101 MN Tech Center
Fax:    (612)626-1596			        MPLS, MN 55415