MS-222 and fish

U29242 at uicvm.uic.edu U29242 at uicvm.uic.edu
Mon Apr 19 23:31:12 EST 1993

I need to use MS-222 (Tricaine Sp?) to anaesthetize some convict
cichlids for an experiment but am not sure of the dosage.  I have had a
few suggestions but I would really like to be as certain as possible.
If anyone could provide any suggestions or advice it would be greatly
appreciated.  Additionally, do I need to be concerned with paralyzing
the respiratory tract of the animal if I use this drug?  I haven't heard
any information that would confirm this.  However, the few people that I
have talked to are at most slightly familiar with it's uses and almost
ignorant of it's affects on fish.
Thanking in advance,
Raymond E. Hulse
u29242 at uicvm.uic.edu