EEG LIST

Doug Knowles knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Wed Aug 18 08:37:17 EST 1993

In article <24otu4$q5e at male.EBay.Sun.COM> andrewb at europe.EBay.Sun.COM writes:

...[stuff deleted]...

>It's also possible to build your own set-up.  With any descent personal
>computer or workstation, a multi-channel D/A board, a high-grade multi-channel
>amplifier, and some software, you can set up your own system.  The advantages
>are price and flexibility (the computer and D/A board aren't "dedicated" to
>EEG recording, as they are in the "package" systems).  Disadvantages
>are: you need to know more about what you're doing (not necessarily a
>disadvantage :-) and you need the software.  I'm not sure what's availible
>commercially, but you could ask around about it.  If you go this route,
>you'll still need to contact Nicolet or some other electro-phys company
>to get the electrodes and electrode paste.
>
>A possible source for D/A boards:  (NOTE: some boards already have adequate
>amplifiers buit-in- just add electrodes!  You can figure out if an amp
>is adequate by calculating your expected signal strength, desired resolution,
>and desired range then comparing to the bord's specs.)

I strongly advise you to be very careful in choosing amplifiers for
human use.  In addition to gain, you must consider noise levels,
bandpass filters, and most importantly, SAFETY.  This means excellent
isolation from ground and very high quality design to prevent leakage
currents or accidental currents in event of component failure.
Safe grounding to control noise is a complex problem.  Moral: stick
omly to amplifiers that are safety rated for human use and learn
about safe grounding.

W. Douglas Knowles, Ph.D.          E-mail: knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Dept. Neurosciences                          voice: (216)444-3870
Cleveland Clinic Foundation                  FAX:   (216)444-7927
9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195 USA