Sea slugs

Doug Knowles knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Mon Aug 23 15:17:17 EST 1993

In article <25a53i$349 at rhino.cis.vutbr.cz> tgrove at psycho.fme.vutbr.cz (Tom Grove) writes:
>Hello,
>
>	I faintly remember  reading (or being told) that some variety of
>sea slug has only sixteen (or similar small number) of neurons. I'm
>interested in building a semi-realistic simulation of a simple animal
>(ala Dr Beer) and this (mythic?) beast would seem suitable. Does anyone
>have any information about sea slug nervous systems? References?
>
>Also, I know damn all  about "real" brains (as opposed to artificial neural
>networks, etc) so does anyone know a good introductory book? ideally, it
>would be called something like "What every AI programmer should know about
>the nervous system" - AI needs a book like this - but I suspect it doesn't
>exist.
>

>--
>Tom Grove				      E-mail:tgrove at psycho.fme.vutbr.cz
>Department of Computer Science                Tel: (42) 5-4114-3335
>Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
>Technical University of Brno

Try some of these:

Shepard, Gordon M., The Synaptic Organization of the Brain
Bullock, Theodore H. et al. Introduction to Nervous Systems
Zornetzer, Steven F. et al. An Introduction to Neural and Electronic Networks
and of course, the classic textbook,
Kandel, Eric R. et al. Principles of Neural Science (extensive and large).

W. Douglas Knowles, Ph.D.          E-mail: knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Dept. Neurosciences                          voice: (216)444-3870
Cleveland Clinic Foundation                  FAX:   (216)444-7927
9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195 USA