musical processing

Steven M. Boker smb3u at kiptron.psyc.virginia.edu
Wed Aug 25 10:46:14 EST 1993

In article <25af7c$t2g at uniwa.uwa.edu.au> aboyt at tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Adam Boyt) writes:

>I am currently doing some research on the processing of musical
>information by the brain.
>
>Does anyone know of any articles, essays, or books on the processing of
>musical information (preferably from a neuroanatomical rather than
>psychological viewpoint)?

I am posting rather than replying directly in hopes of generating
some discussion about the topic of the neurophysiology of music perception.

I'd recommend that you look at

@BOOK{Clynes82a,
        AUTHOR = {Clynes, Manfred},
        TITLE = {Music, Mind and Brain: the Neuropsychology of Music},
        PUBLISHER = {Plenum Press},
        ADDRESS = {New York},
        YEAR = {1982}
}

and an interesting, but sometimes speculative, recent volume:

@BOOK{Wallin91a,
        AUTHOR = {Wallin, Nils Lennart},
        TITLE = {Biomusicology : neurophysiological, neuropsychological, and evo
lutionary perspectives on the origins and purposes of music},
        PUBLISHER = {Pendragon Press},
        ADDRESS = {Stuyvesant, NY},
        YEAR = {1991}
}

You should probably take a look at

@ARTICLE{Basar91a,
        AUTHOR = {Basar, E. and Basar--Eroglu, C. and Rahn, E. and Schurmann, M.
},
        TITLE = {Sensory and cognitive components of brain resonance responses:
an analysis of responsiveness in human and cat brain upon visual and auditory--s
timulation},
        JOURNAL = {Acta Oto--Laryngologica (Supplement)},
        VOLUME = {491},
        PAGES = {25--35},
        YEAR = {1991}
}

@ARTICLE{Bogen71a,
        AUTHOR = {Bogen, J. E. and Gordon, H. W.},
        TITLE = {Musical tests for functional lateralization with intracarotid a
mobarbital},
        JOURNAL = {Nature},
        VOLUME = {230},
        PAGES = {524--525},
        YEAR = {1971}
}

@INCOLLECTION{Borchgrevink82a,
        AUTHOR = {Borchgrevink, Hans M.},
        TITLE = {Prosody and musical rhythm are controlled by the speech hemisph
ere},
        BOOKTITLE = {Music, Mind and Brain},
        EDITOR = {Clynes, Manfred},
        PUBLISHER = {Plenum},
        ADDRESS = {New York},
        YEAR = {1982}
}

and although this doesn't directly apply to music perception, I think
that you should take a clue from:

@ARTICLE{Engel91a,
        AUTHOR = {Engel, A. K. and K\"{o}nig, P. and Singer, W.},
        TITLE = {Direct physiological evidence for scene segmentation by tempora
l coding},
        JOURNAL = {Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United
 States of America},
        VOLUME = {88},
        PAGES = {9136-9140},
        YEAR = {1991}
}

@ARTICLE{Gray89a,
        AUTHOR = {Gray, C. M. and K\"{o}nig, P. and Engel, A. K. and Singer, W.}
,
        TITLE = {Oscillatory responses in cat visual cortex exhibit inter--colum
nar synchronization which reflects global stimulus properties},
        JOURNAL = {Nature},
        VOLUME = {338},
        PAGES = {334--337},
        YEAR = {1989}
}

@ARTICLE{Jones91a,
        AUTHOR = {Jones, S. J.},
        TITLE = {Memory--dependent auditory evoked--potentials to change in the
binaural interaction of noise signals},
        JOURNAL = {Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology},
        VOLUME = {80},
        NUMBER = {5},
        PAGES = {399--405},
        YEAR = {1991}
}

@ARTICLE{Kaufman91a,
        AUTHOR = {Kaufman, L. and Curtis, S. and Wang, J. Z. and Williamson, S.
J.},
        TITLE = {Changes in cortical activity when subjects scan memory for tone
s},
        JOURNAL = {Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology},
        VOLUME = {82},
        PAGES = {266--284},
        YEAR = {1991}
}

@INCOLLECTION{Llinas92a,
        AUTHOR = {Llin\'{a}s, R and Ribary, U.},
        TITLE =  {Chapter 7},
        BOOKTITLE = {Induced Rhythms in the Brain},
        EDITOR = {Basar, Erol and Bullock, T. H.},
        PUBLISHER = {Birkhauser},
        ADDRESS = {Boston},
        YEAR = {1992}
}