info about thruth serum

Robert Born st000063 at hrz1.hrz.th-darmstadt.de
Thu Aug 26 01:45:44 EST 1993

hi everybody

the last days i found 4 articles from diverent newsgroups
via a gopher service.  the names of the senders are withheld.

[...]

>: I was wondering whether anyone knows the truth about truth serum?
>: Sodium pentothal I think. Does it work, and if so how?

>Well, it can remove your inhibitions against talking. The problem
>is, you can be led to say just about anything desired.

I think that's a pretty accurate summary.  I'll try to provide a few details
as well.

I believe it is a barbiturate (Thiopental Sodium), making the
neural membrane more permeable to chloride ions, resulting in
general inhibition, starting with the cortex and working down to the
lower brain regions with increasing biological effect.

I think the effects are something like the following :

At an appropriate dosage, you get just enough neural inhibitory effect
to create an alcohol-like disinhibition of normal behavioral restraints.

At a higher dosage, but not high enough to cause unconsciousness, you may
create a stupor and inhibit independent thought and action to a greater
extent.  The result is that you become more suggestible and less
willful.  A context for either recalling memories or constructing
new ones may then be created by an operator.  The actual verity of
the testimony achieved in this manner will be impossible to determine
from the session alone, however.

I think there is some overlap with the old practice of using ethyl ether to
aid in obtaining psychodynamic 'catharsis,' which may or may not
relate to actual events in the patients personal history,
and overlap with some aspects of the use of hypnosis for similar purposes.

[...]

from The Merck Index:

Preparation is covered by US Patents 2,153,729 (1939), 2,876,225 (1959).

"Yellowish-white hygroscopic powder.  Alliaceous, garlic-like odor.  Sol
in water, alcohol...."

for personal reasons i'm very interested in this subject.
do you know any ("scientific") reports about involuntary pentothal
drug abuse or any kind of "disease" (ptsd,...),
psycological or social disorders caused by this drug.
what will happen to a person if this substance is applicated
over a longer period of time with or without contradiktion
of amphetamines or lsd?
which social results will occur if this person is psychologicaly
stressed through "dejavue" or other forms of repression in order
to break his\her strenght of will.

thank you for your very helpful investigation                   """
and furthermore friendly communication                        -(o o)-
      robert born - wilhelminenplatz 15a - 64283 darmstadt -
      germany - 06151/27342 st000063 at hrz1.hrz.th-darmstadt.de