Is uploading feasible?

Michael Young Ko vincie at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 10 01:59:27 EST 1993

Peter Alexander Merel (pete at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU) wrote:
: adh at rambla.Sun.COM (Sandwich Maker) writes:
: >"Ah, but then where will your 'identity' reside? In the whole system, or just
: >"in the 'original' parts? If it is in the whole system, then would you be
: >"satisfied with the slow neuron-by-neuron replacement scheme envisaged by,
: >"among others, the original poster?

: >my identity would not include new peripherals any more than it does my
: >hand, which cannot think.

: It's not quite so clear-cut, methinks. If your hand doesn't think, then
: how about the nerves that relay the brain's signals to and from that hand?
: The nerves in the motor centres of your brain that sense and control your
: hand? If your hand isn't part of your identity, then can you tell me, "this
: neuron here, that's part of me, but this other neuron over here, that it's
: hooked up to, isn't."? Where do you draw the line?

Well, obvious someone's identity, drastically,  does not suffer if a limb
must be amputated(sp?). I believe that your identity is a product of the
connections of the neurons in your brain. I guess if you transfers the exact
pattern on the neurons somewhere else then the identity would be saved.
I guess the big problem is will consciousness be continued?

Any theories?

 / ...the chances of getting picked up by another/     The Invincible      \
/ ship within those thiry seconds are 2 to the   /    vincie at cs.jhu.edu     \
\ power of 276709 to one against." - From The    \ Computer Science Depart. /
 \ Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - D. Adams   \ Johns Hopkins University/