Mark Bower's post about callosum and lateralized processes

Gilles Bronchti gilles.bronchti at ia.unil.ch
Thu Dec 16 18:58:54 EST 1993

In article <Pine.3.05.9312161026.C8578-b100000 at cosy.ab.umd.edu> sdaviss at COSY.AB.UMD.EDU (Steven Roy Daviss) writes:
>From: sdaviss at COSY.AB.UMD.EDU (Steven Roy Daviss)
>Subject: Re: Mark Bower's post about callosum and lateralized processes
>Date: 16 Dec 1993 07:41:20 -0800

>I can think of maybe 10 or 12 patients who have clearly expressed the idea
>that they have God and the Devil within them, and that God is on one side
>(or controls one side) and the Devil is on the other.  In *every* case, I
>have found that they report God as being on the RIGHT side and the Devil
>as being on the LEFT.

>I don't know what to make of it, but it certainly lends credit to the
>notion of left being 'sinister'.

The contrary is much more certain! The notion that left is bad and right is
good leads the patients you wrote about to believe that God is on the right
side, and the Devil on the left. Are they thinking that God controls their
left hand? This concept that right is good and left is bad is responsible for
all the troubles we, right handed people, did to the left handed people. Even
pseudo-scientific sects as Tomatis' founded their theory on that.
Gilles Bronchti