Is uploading feasible?

Bill Park park at
Thu Dec 16 17:13:56 EST 1993

In article <CI3Cwn.813 at> WilsonR at
(Richard Wilson) writes:

>BTW: perhaps you could help (I am just being made redundant)?
>I'm a UK resident seeking an opportunity offering intellectual challenge.
>My 17 year career in the IT profession spans neural network research,

If you don't mind working in New York City or Chicago, there have been
many job postings from those cities for "rocket scientists" --
financial analysts who know how to apply trendy methods such as chaos
theory, expert systems, genetic algorithms, virtual reality, database
mining, and --yes!-- even neural networks to all manner of investing

Bear in mind that the brokerages, banks, and investment firms who hire
such people are as likely to pay top dollar for advice from an
astrologer as from a neural network expert.  Or even to combine their
advice.  If a technique seems to work, they don't care about its
credibility.  Candlestick charts.  Kondratief waves.  Read
misc.invest.technical for some eye-opening insights into human nature.

To get a feeling for the level of madness in this industry, read these ...

1. 92-52612: Schwager, Jack D., 1948-  The new market wizards : conversations
     with America's top traders /  1st ed.  New York : HarperBusiness, c1992.
     xiii, 493 p.  24 cm.
     LC CALL NUMBER: HG4621 .S283 1992

2. 89-46228:   Market wizards : interviews with top traders /  New York :
     Perennial Library, 1990, c1989.  p. cm.

3. 89-32614: Schwager, Jack D., 1948-  Market wizards : interviews with top
     traders /  New York, NY : New York Institute of Finance, c1989.  xviii,
     458 p. ; 24 cm.
     LC CALL NUMBER: HG4621 .S28 1989

These citations were obtained from the U.S. Library of Congress
on-line catalog via the Unix command ...

For a description of a quintessential "quant," who thinks like you and
me rather than a tea-leaf reader, just read the story about Ed Seykota
in Schwager's 1989 book.  In fact, it would be interesting to know what
he's doing now.

I don't know what Usenet newsgroups are avaiable to you in the
U.K. that might carry listings for jobs in the U.S., but at my site
( we get, for example, ...		... Australia	... San Francisco Bay Area		... Canada			... Stanford University		... University of California at Berkeley		... Unemployed Kingdom	... Untied States

Don't freeze in the AI Winter.

Bill Park
Grandpaw Bill's High Technology Consulting & Live Bait, Inc.