Lateral eye movements (was Re: Neuro-Linguistic)

Todd I. Stark stark at dwovax.enet.dec.com
Fri Dec 17 12:21:23 EST 1993

In sci.psychology, article <ken.boff-131293104309 at lyman-193.gatech.edu>
>      ken.boff at business.gatech.edu (Ken Boff) writes:
>>I've recently been reading "Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Vol 1." by
>>Dilts, Grinder, Bandler, et al. The authors make many claims about
>>interpreting internal thought processess based on eye movements,
>>breathing patters, etc.

I have found it extremely interesting that at
least some of the earliest and best known observations of the NLP
advocates turned out later to have neurologically plausible aspects.
It seems to me that this kind of interdisciplinary observation might have
some grand potential.

Among the best studied of these is the idea of lateral eye movements being
related to (whatever).

This oft-quoted observation in NLP literature had two parts :

	1.  The relation of eye movement to sensory modality or
			'representational system,'
			(e.g. visual, auditory, kinesthetic)

	2.  The relation of eye movement to cognitive style
			(e.g. 'constructed' images vs. 'recalled' images,
			 etc., in the NLP literature).

Eye movement does appear to relate to cognitive style, though it is not
entirely clear yet exactly how (or even whether) it might relate to sensory
modality.

I've included a fairly extensive list of refs from my files to illustrate
how seriously _this_particular_idea_ is taken, though not as any indication
of NLP itself.  This literature has nothing directly to do with NLP, it
mostly has to do with the research into how eye movements relate to
hemisphere asymmetry and cognitive style and the implications for learning.

Perhaps an NLP maven could review some of these and explain how this research
might apply (or not) onto their notion of representational systems ?

Happy reading !!  :*)

Breitling, D., & Bonnet, K. (1985). Lateralization of GSR,  lateral
eye movements and a visual half-fields recognition task.
International Journal of Clinical Neuropsychology, 7, 140-143

Bruce, P. R., Herman, J. F., & Stern, J. (1982). Lateral eye
movements and the recall of spatial information in a familiar,
large-scale environment.  Neuropsychologica, 20, 505-508.

Coleman, S. & Zenhausern, R. (1979) Processing speed, laterality
patterns, and memory encoding as a function of hemispheric
dominance.  Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 14, 357-360.

Day, M. E. (1967) An eye-movement indicator of individual
differences in the psychological organization of attentional
process and anxiety.  Journal of  Psychology, 66, 51-62.

Ehrlichman, H., & Weinberger, A.  (1978) Lateral eye movements and
hemispheric asymmetry: A critical review. Psychological
Bulletin, 86, 1080-1101.

Falcone, D. J., & Loder, K. (1984). A modified lateral eye  movement measure,
the right hemisphere, and creativity.
    Perceptual and Motor Skills, 58, 823-830.

Gur, R. E., & Gur, R. C. (1975).  Defense mechanisms,
psychosomatic symptomatology, and conjugate lateral eye
movements.  Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 43,
416-420.

Gur, R.E., Gur, R.C., & Harris (1975) Cerebral activation, as
measured by subjects' lateral eye movements is influenced by
experimenter location. Neuropsychologia, 13, 35-44.

Huang, M. S., & Byrne, B. (1978).  Cognitive style and lateral eye
movements.  British Journal of Psychology, 69, 85-90.

Hugdahl, K., & Carlgren, H. E. (1981).  Hemispheric asymmetry as
indexed by differences in direction of initial conjugate
lateral eye movements (CLEMS) in response to verbal, spatial,
and emotional tasks.  Journal of Mind and Behavior 2, 259-270.

Jamieson, J. L., & Sellick, T. B. (1985) Effects of subject-to-
experimenter distance and instructions on lateral eye movement.
Perceptual and Motor Skills, 60, 155-159.

Kinsbourne, M. (1972) Eye and head turning indicate cerebral
lateralization.  Science, 176, 539-541.

Leboeuf, A., McKay, P., & Clarke, K. (1983). Lateral eye movements
and dream recall in males: a reappraisal. Imagination,
Cognition, and Personality, 3, 61-68.

Lenhart, R. E. (1985) The effects of distance between
interactants and subject anxiety on conjugate lateral eye movements.
Brain and Cognition,  4(3), 328-337.

Ogorman, J. & Siddle, D. (1981).  The effects of question type  and
experimenter position on bilateral differences in electrodermal
activity and conjugate lateral eye movements. Acta
Psychologica, 49, 43-51.

Owens, W., & Limber, J. (1983). Lateral eye movement as a measure
of cognitive ability and style.  Perceptual and Motor Skills,
56, 711-719.

Parrott, C. A. (1983). Personality characteristics associated  with
lateral eye movement patterns.  Perceptual and Motor Skills,
58, 867-874.

Swinnen, S. (1984). Some evidence for the hemispheric asymmetry
model of lateral eye movements.  Perceptual and Motor Skills,
58, 79-88.

Thompson, M., Greenberg, R. P., & Fisher, S. (1982). Defense
mechanisms, somatic symptoms, and lateral eye movements in
females.  Perceptual and Motor Skills, 55, 939-942.

Tucker, G. H., & Suib, M. R. (1978).  Conjugate lateral eye
movement (CLEM) direction and its relationship to performance
on verbal and visuospatial tasks.  Neuropsychologica, 16, 251-254

Van Nuys, D. (1985) Lateral eye movement and dream recall: II sex
differences and handedness.  International Journal of
Psychosomatics, 31, 3-7.

Weiten, W., & Etaugh, C. F. (1974) Lateral eye movement as related
to verbal and perceptual-motor skills and values.  Perceptual
and Motor Skills, 36, 423-428.

						kind regards,

						todd
| Todd I. Stark				  stark at dwovax.enet.dec.com           |
| Digital Equipment Corporation		             (215) 542-3573           |
| Philadelphia, Pa. 19152   USA                                               |