Decussated CNS?

Doug Knowles knowled at
Wed Feb 24 10:36:21 EST 1993

In article <23FEB199319244528 at> psycpc at (Rexer, Jennie L.) writes:
>From: psycpc at (Rexer, Jennie L.)
>Subject: Decussated CNS?
>Date: 23 Feb 1993 19:24 CST
>News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
>I have a question:
>What is the origin of the decussated (I think I am spelling this correctly...
>"crossed", in other words) central nervous system?
>I have never heard a good explanation for this.
>Also, how far down the evolutionary tree does this occur?  All vertebrates?
>Thank you,
>J. Rexer
I am forwarding this to bionet.neuroscience, where you are much more likely
to get an interesting answer.  I'll bet Bill Calvin will want to take on
this one.

W. Douglas Knowles, Ph.D.          E-mail: knowled at
Dept. Neurosciences                          voice: (216)444-3870
Cleveland Clinic Foundation                  FAX:   (216)444-7927
9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195 USA
quote: "We need not all give our whole time to the currently more glamorous
"molecular biology"; it will doubtless come soon enough."  I.H. Page 1962 !