Schizophrenia and the immune system

Mickey Rowe rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 3 15:23:20 EST 1993

In article <1993Feb2.191608.3171 at midway.uchicago.edu>
    jm68 at midway.uchicago.edu writes:

>My off-the-wall two cents worth: Might the brain be isolated from the immune
>system because something akin to the immune machinery is involved in normal
>brain function; for instance, antibody selection and clonal establishment are
>analogous to learning and memory, no?  Kick it around.

Intriguing thought, but I'd guess that the brain's isolation from the
immune system is an "inadvertant" off-shoot of the brain's isolation
from everything else.  After all, aren't the microglia sort of like
the central nervous system's private immune system?  Is there anybody
who knows enough about microglia that they'd be willing to comment on
some of the similarities and differences between them and any
counterparts they have in the immune system proper?

Mickey Rowe     (rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu)