Ritalin and dietary supplements

Steven Zikopoulos szikopou at superior.carleton.ca
Sat Feb 6 13:33:06 EST 1993

In <1kvos1INNmr at life.ai.mit.edu> hanan at hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Hanan Herzog) writes:

>Hi,

>Are there any nutrients or drugs that (at least help) increase the
>production of dopamine? I am interested in something that will help
>compensate for the depletions in dopamine caused by increased release
>rate caused by Ritalin, etc. Supposedly, Ritalin users often feel more
>tired at the end of the day than others, prtially because of a short
>term dopamine depletion. I am hoping that increased production of
>dopamine at the same time as the increased release would produce a
>balanance which would reduce this side-effect.

>Any information would be appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Hanan

Hanan:  The following suggestions are just that...suggestions.  If you
need advice talk to a professional about it.

Yes.  Some people try precursor loading with phenylalanine and
there may be ways of increasing DA.

What is a little confusing is that Ritalin (methyl phenidate) is a
stimulant and is similar in its neruochemical effect to the
amphetamines.  Thus I assume it potentiates dopamine activity.  If
depletion is a "side" effect (I hate using the word "side" effect.  A
drug induced effect is an effect whether you want it to happen or not)
that suggests that Ritalin potentiates dopamine activity (in part at
least) by releasing stored dopamine.  Even if you do munch on some
concentrated amino acids, the Ritalin may just release it.

You should seek the adivce of the professional who is Rxing the
Ritalin.  If s/he is not cooperative find someone else.

Just my 2 cents

Steve Zikopoulos
szikopou at ccs.carleton.ca