pCLAMP Version 4.0/TL-1 interface

thurman at iscsvax.uni.edu thurman at iscsvax.uni.edu
Sat Feb 6 18:47:58 EST 1993

        I recently been confrounted with a potential problem involving pClamp,
the TL-1 interface and the Tecmar A/D board (Scientific solutions) produced by
Axon Instruments, Ca.

        I originally bought the soft/hardware back in 1986 or 87. I've been
using it happily with an IMB-XT for IV curves of intact sheets of epithelial
tissues. Recently, I got money for equipment to reconstitute ion channels in
planar bilayers. Naturally, I got a good patch clamp amplifier and an A/D-VCR
system. From a university separate fund I can now up date my computer system
for analysis. I have enought money to get a 486/66MHz with a 1.5 GB tape backup
system for archiving the analyzed data. I am building this entire setup
around the pClamp version 4.01 and the TL-1. Will it work? I called Axon Inst.
yesterday. They said, "We don't know. You should spend $4100 for the new
soft/hardware package. That way there's no doubt." Well, unfortunately I don't
have $ 4100 to spend on anything but hardware. If I buy the package I won't
have a computer system. Help!

My questions are:
  1. Will pClamp version 4 ,the Axon Instr. TL-1 and Tecmar A/D board work with
         a 486/66MHz or some other current computer (386 even ?)
  2. Is there any way to alter the TL-1/Board to make it work with a 386/486 ?
  3. Any suggest an alternative system to use ?

Thanks if you have suggestions.
  Carl Thurman/ Dept Biology
  University of Northern Iowa