Donchin's ERP work in the Times

Doug Knowles knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Wed Feb 10 10:08:44 EST 1993

In article <1993Feb10.022019.7846 at reed.edu> zeke at reed.edu (Zeke Koch) writes:
>From: zeke at reed.edu (Zeke Koch)
>Subject: Donchin's ERP work in the Times
>Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1993 02:20:19 GMT
>Does anyone know anything about Donchin's work on Computer Human
>Interaction?  I saw the following article in the times today.
>--------
>THE NEW YORK TIMES, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 1993
>
>Computers Are Starting to Take Humans' Wishes as Their Commands
>
>By ANDREW POLLACK
>
>ATSUGI, Japan
>
>  People now control computers with a keyboard, a
>mouse or in some cases with spoken commands But at Japan's largest
>computer company, Fujitsu Ltd, and at several other laboratories
>around The world, researchers are developing ways to control a
>compu~er by merely thinking a command
>
>A New York State Department of Health research Team has developed a
>system that allows users, after some training, to move a cursor slowly
>up and down or side to side on a computer screen by mental action
>alone.  University of Illinois psychologists developed a way of
>allowing people to type, albeit at a rate of only 2.3 characters a
>minute, by spelling out words in their minds
>At the University of Illinois, Professor Donchin took advantage of
>what; is known as the "oddball paradigm." When someone sees something
>that he or she has been waiting for but that occurs only rarely, the
>brain emits a detectable signal about three-tenths of a second later.
>At the New York State Department of Health's Wadsworth Center for
>Laboratories and Research in Albany, Dr. Jonathan R. Wolpaw and his
>colleagues get around the problem of having a computer try to guess
>what the brain is thinking. Their approach is to train the brain to
>emit signals that can be easily understood by a computer. "It's
>putting the task on the brain," Dr. Wolpaw said.

>If anyone has any of the papers refered to in this article I'd love to
>follow up on this.
>
>Zeke
>--
>                           zeke at reed.edu
>"NeXT has made it possible for Tiny Tim to over-extend himself and buy
>a Ferrari for the price of a Hyundai and now Tiny Tim is pissed because
>the gas station attendant won't sell him gas for 3 cents a gallon."

These are the only articles I found in a quick Medline search...
1
UI  - 91199974
AU  - Wolpaw JR
AU  - McFarland DJ
AU  - Neat GW
AU  - Forneris CA
TI  - An EEG-based brain-computer interface for cursor control.
AD  - Wadsworth Center for Laboratories and Research, Albany, NY 12201-0509.
SO  - Electroencephalography & Clinical Neurophysiology 1991 Mar;
      78(3):252-9
AB  - This study began development of a new communication and control modality
      for individuals with severe motor deficits. We trained normal subjects to
      use the 8-12 Hz mu rhythm recorded from the scalp over the central sulcus
      of one hemisphere to move a cursor from the center of a video screen to a
      target located at the top or bottom edge. Mu rhythm amplitude was assessed
      by on-line frequency analysis and translated into cursor movement: larger
      amplitudes moved the cursor up and smaller amplitudes moved it down. Over
      several weeks, subjects learned to change mu rhythm amplitude quickly and
      accurately, so that the cursor typically reached the target in 3 sec. The
      parameters that translated mu rhythm amplitudes into cursor movements were
      derived from evaluation of the distributions of amplitudes in response to
      top and bottom targets. The use of these distributions was a distinctive
      feature of this study and the key factor in its success. Refinements in
      training procedures and in the distribution-based method used to translate
      mu rhythm amplitudes into cursor movements should further improve this
      1-dimensional control. Achievement of 2-dimensional control is under
      study. The mu rhythm may provide a significant new communication and
      control option for disabled individuals.

2
UI  - 91151607
AU  - Blackwood DH
AU  - Muir WJ
TI  - Cognitive brain potentials and their application.
AD  - Department of Psychiatry, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh
      Hospital.
SO  - British Journal of Psychiatry - Supplement 1990;(9):96-101

-Doug Knowles (Reed '72 - say hi to Steve Arch and Frank Gwilliam)
W. Douglas Knowles, Ph.D.          E-mail: knowled at ccsmtp.ccf.org
Dept. Neurosciences                          voice: (216)444-3870
Cleveland Clinic Foundation                  FAX:   (216)444-7927
9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195 USA
quote: "We need not all give our whole time to the currently more glamorous
"molecular biology"; it will doubtless come soon enough."  I.H. Page 1962 !