current sinks and sources in hippocampal neurons

Kate Jeffery kate at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 10:50:48 EST 1993

When you record extracellularly from the dentate granule cell body
layer in the hippocampus, there is a positive-going EPSP on which is
superimposed a negative population spike (summed action potentials).
We're having a debate in our lab. about why the spike is upside down
with respect to the EPSP: I thought I understood why this was but now
I'm not so sure. Can anybody give a good explanation?

Thanks,

Kate