Does Ritalin cause short-term dopamine depletion?

Florian von Samson fsamson at nyx.cs.du.edu
Wed Feb 10 19:07:52 EST 1993

Hanan Herzog asked:

> Would a supplement of l-tyrosine and/or vitamin B-6 (in a B complex)
> be helpful to maintaining an optimal level of dopamine all day and
> thus reduce the Ritalin induced dopamine depletion at the end of the
> day?

As the similarities of Ritalin and amphetamines in terms of chemical
structure as well as physiological and chemical reactions already had
been pointed out, I remembered a pep-up-pill called "Reactivan", which
was (and still is, I guess) prescribed in Germany, containing an amphet-
amine and vitamin B-6 (in a B complex) (and some iron complex as far as
I can recall). I also know that there was comment on "Reactivan" in a
book named "Bittere Pillen" (bitter pills) which regarded this combi-
nation as not useful, meaning that the vitamin B-complex and the iron-
complex was unnecessary.

This "Bittere Pillen"-book comments on about 2000 of the most prescribed
drugs in Germany. Although it occupies a critical point of view, it is
not written by some 'green eco'-idiots. It was written by medical doctors
and biologists and all comments seemed to be well based.

If anyone believes it makes sense to follow this thread and the precise
information on what "Reactivan" contains and what the comment in "Bittere
Pillen" exactly sounded like is needed, send Email and I will find out
and respond.

Florian v. Samson
(fsamson at nyx.cs.du.edu)