range of frequency.

Vax vax at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 11 03:32:51 EST 1993

In article <JDGAB22I at gwdu03.gwdg.de> xpei at gwdgv1.gwdg.de writes:
>Dear Readers.
>	May anyone so kind tell me that what is the range of frequency
>when people speaks. What is the frequency differences between man and women,
>and between children, boys and  girls. What is the difference in hamonics.

According to the "Electronic Engineer's Handbook, 3rd Edition":
...statistical studies have established a typical "idealized" speech spectrum
in Fig. 19-13.  The spectrum level rises about 5dB from 100 to 600Hz, then
falls about 6,9,12 and 15dB in suceeding higher octaves.
[The figure in question shows a 38dB level at 100Hz which decays exponentially
(on the logarithmic graph) up to 10kHz]
The rest of the speech section is devoted to intelligibility and directional
characteristics.
Women's voices have traditionally been represented as an octave higher than
male's, but I'm sure you can find more specific data than that.

--
Protect our endangered bandwidth - reply by email.  NO BIG SIGS!
VaX#n8 vax at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu - finger for more info if you even care.