Analgesia not mediated by naloxone. Mechanism ?

Todd I. Stark stark at dwovax.enet.dec.com
Thu Feb 18 18:47:26 EST 1993

This is a re-post of an earlier request.  I'm looking for references or
ideas to follow up on for alternate analgesia mechanisms besides
the endogenous opiate system.  Someone in mail asked me what references I had
so far.  I don't have many, but here they are ...

In 'Evaluation of the efficacy and neural mechanism of a hypnotic
analgesia procedure in experimental and clinical dental pain,' 4,41-48,
_Pain_, 1977, J. Barber and D. Mayer reported that effective analgesia was
produced by a refinement of hypnotic technique, and was not reduced by
naloxone.  J. Barber, neuropsychiatry at UCLA, seems to have somewhat
specialized in this area.

Another 1977 study, Stern, Brown, Ulett, and Sletten, 'A comparison of
hypnosis, acupuncture, morphine, Valium, aspirin, and placebo in the
management of experimentally induced pain,' Annals_of_the_New_York_
Academy_of_Sciences, 296, 175-193, found that acupuncture,
morphine, and hypnostic analgesia all produced significantly reduced
pain ratings for cold pressor and ischemic pain.

More recently, Van Gorp, Meyer, and Dunbar, 'The efficacy of direct
versus indirect hypnotic induction techniques on reduction of
experimental pain,' International_Journal_of_Clinical_and_Experimental_
Hypnosis, 33, 319-328, 1985 (with cold pressor pain).

Lastly, Tripp and Marks, 1986, compared hypnosis and relaxation
with regard to analgesia for cold pressor pain in 'Hypnosis, relaxation,
and analgesia suggestions for the reduction of reported pain in high-
and low-suggestible subjects,' Austrailian_Journal_of_Clinical_and_
Experimental_Hypnosis, 33, 319-328.

						kind regards,

						todd
| Todd I. Stark				  stark at dwovax.enet.dec.com           |
| Digital Equipment Corporation		             (215) 354-1273           |
| Philadelphia, Pa. USA                                                       |
|    "As a hobby, this is certainly an interesting profession."               |