In article <1993Feb19.120300.13500 at reks.uia.ac.be> dnalab at reks.uia.ac.be (labo DNA-onderzoek) writes:
>>Is there anyone who is currently working on Spinal Muscular Atrophy type I
>(Werdnig-Hoffmann) and is using RFLP's for prenatal diagnosis.
>I am currently working on SMA-I at the Department of Human Genetics of the
>University of Antwerp, Wilrijk (Antwerpen), Belgium. We have four families
>and already used two probes but they weren't informative in these families.
>If you are working on SMA could you give us some information on the probes
>you are using and could we use them als to see wether tey are informative
>We do not intend to give the probes to others if you don't want to.
>The probes we already used are : p105-599 HA and p105-153 RA.
>Thank you in advance for your assistance.
If you have a gopher client point it at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and go
to the following directory:
--> 14. Searching For Biologists/
then select -
--> 2. Search for All Researchers funded by NIH <?>
and search for:
spinal and muscular and atrophy
and you will get a list of researches funded by the US Nat'l
Institutes of Health to work on Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Each
entry contains the researher's name, address and an abstract
describing there work.
1. GILLIAM, THOMAS COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY 722 W 168TH ST, BOX 5...
2. FISCHBECK, KENNETH H HOSP OF UNIV OF PENNSYLVANIA 3400 SP...
3. BRONSTEIN, JEFF UCLA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE 10833 LECONTE AVE...
4. NEMETH, PATTI M WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY 660 S. EUCLID AVE.,...
5. HIXON, THOMAS J UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA SPEECH BUILDING NO ...
6. HIXON, THOMAS J UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA SPEECH BUILDING NO ...
7. HOUENOU, LUCIEN J BOWMAN GRAY SCHOOL MEDICAL CENTER BLVD ...
8. OPPENHEIM, RONALD W WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER...
9. WANG, CHING H COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY 710 WEST 168TH ST BOX ...
10. ABLACK, IRA B UMDNJ-ROBERT W JOHNSON MED SCH 675 HOES LAN...
--> 11. CORNBLATH, DAVID R JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY 720 RUTLAND A...
12. PRICE, DONALD L JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY 600 NORTH WOLFE ...
Now if you further restrict the search to:
spinal and muscular and atrophy and rflp
you will find one researcher:
--> 1. CORNBLATH, DAVID R JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY 720 RUTLAND A...
The entry is as follows:
CORNBLATH, DAVID R
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
720 RUTLAND AVE
BALTIMORE, MD 21205
PERFORMING ORGANIZATION: JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
TITLE General clinical research center
SUB TITLE Familial autosomal dominant distal spinal muscular atrophy
This study attempts to identify the locus for autosomal distal SMA in a
family in which this disorder is sufficiently defined clinically, and
the pedigree extensive enough, that restriction fragment length
polymorphism (RFLP) linkage analysis is a feasible approach toward
identifying the underlying genetic defect.
I looked up CORNBLATH'S phone mumber -
Gopher is free and on the net - write me a note if you've never
heard of it and want more information on how to obtain it.
damj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu