nerve structure of eye?

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Fri Feb 19 19:38:07 EST 1993

In article <1lvjs7$kbc at> schnoerr at (Claudius Schnoerr) writes:
>can someone direct me to some literature about the nerve structure of
>the eye of higher animals (cat, monkey, human)?
>I'd like to know how many photoreceptors an eye has, their density
>distributions and the number of nerve connections with the brain.

Herr Dr. Schnoerr:

I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced.

The book you want is "The Retina: An Approachable Part of the Brain",
by John Dowling.  Research articles by Koh,C. and Sherman, M. will be
helpful too.

I can send more info if you e-mail _me_ so we can get this address
problem straight.  (Sorry to the rest of the networld for having to
read this.)

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at
Dept of Anatomy                 []
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []