Query on Benign Intracranial Hypertension

cigs13 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk cigs13 at vaxa.strath.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 08:32:59 EST 1993

Some four years ago I suffered a debilitating bout of "double vision",
initially diagnosed as Myasthenia Gravis.  After a full work up at the National
Hospital for Nervous Diseases (London) dismissing that diagnosis and
considering and rejecting the possibility of brain tumors, I was told that
I had "benign intracranial hypertension" which was treated by lumbar puncture
(aka spinal taps) and acetozolamide.

While the problem has not recurred I still occasionnally feel less than well,
though the consultants have discharged me, and my local GPs have no answers.

Can anyone point me to more recent research on BIH or tell me if there has ever
been a study of long-term aftereffects?  My research at the time suggested that
BIH was very rare in men, though not uncommon in pregnant or obese women.  The
perhaps most puzzling aspect was that although I did not suffer from headaches
I did have (and perhaps to some extent still have) a striking muscle weakness
which may or may not be related.

Any advice or assistance gratefully received.

--
This E-Mail Message has been sent by:
					Adam Gilinsky, Co-ordinator

P.S. My e-mail address is CIGS13 at uk.ac.strath

P.S.S.  Yes, I am related to Dr. Alberta Steinman Gilinsky, formerly Benson
Professor of Psychology at University of Bridgeport, and author of Mind &
Brain.