I want your opinion.

Dario Ringach dario at cns.nyu.edu
Fri Feb 26 14:27:32 EST 1993

In article 93Feb24000321 at CS2.CC.Lehigh.EDU, tb06 at CS2.CC.Lehigh.EDU (TERRENCE MONROE BRANNON) writes:
}}
}}
}}   In your opinion, how likely is it that within the next couple of
}}   hundred years we will develop a way of sending and recieving very
}}   specific signals to the brain--signals precise enough to simulate most
}}   of the sensory input we recieve from the world around us.

Improbable.  I asked a similar question about stimulating precise areas
of the brain by focusing magnetic signals (reversing the process that
occurs during neuromagnetic recordings).  It was pointed to me that it
has been mathematically proven that this is not possible.  I don't have
the refs but you should look at one of the lastest conference on
Neuromagnetism.

---
Dario Ringach                           office: (212) 998-3941
Center for Neural Science               home:   (212) 727-9346
New York University                     e-mail: dario at cns.nyu.edu