Apology + retract previous question/s

paully mccarr at jec311.its.rpi.edu
Fri Feb 26 15:35:50 EST 1993

I would like to apologize for posting the previous letter considering the
possibility that synapses located beyond the third order branching of a
given dendrite were incapable of communicating with the nerve cell body because
of the exponential relationship between synaptic depolarization/hyper-polar-
ization and electrotonic spread.  I was under the miss-conception that EPSPs
and IPSPs had similar electrotonic characteristics which is far from the case.
Though EPSPs follow this exponential trend IPSPs don't, this gives inhibitory
connections(which are more prevalent) greater efficacy at large distances from
the cell body.

Perhaps one's first impressions are the best.

Again sorry for the poorly formed question.

,R. Paul McCarty (mccarr at rpi.edu)
Biomedical Engineering (undergrad. Senior)(Neuroscientist in training)
RPI