Behavioral Genetics...

U29242 at uicvm.uic.edu U29242 at uicvm.uic.edu
Sun Feb 28 19:59:50 EST 1993

I know that there has been a trend in the neurosciences with molecular
analysis and genetic analysis of neural substrates.  Much to the chagrin
of my professors (who are hard core neuroscientists....as I would also
like to be) I think that thistopic has some merit but I am limited to
the review of literature.  There are no formal behavioral geneticists on
my campus.  I am not talking about heritability studies or the like but
actually looking at development, the role of the genome, it's affect on
the nervous system and subsequent processes that lead up to what appears
to me a nice picture.  Some studies that I have reviewed include the
mutant strains of Drosophila including periodicity mutation (per) and
the cacophony mutation (cac).  Also, I have read some work on the weaver
mice and a few other strains.  There seems to be an almost indefinite
supply of these mutations for studies!  Anyways, the question is I would
like to hear anyone's impressions on how this will affect the
neurosciences and it's possible role in future research.  Please e-mail
me with any opinions or information concerning this young field.  I
would greatly appreciate any insight into this area.
Ray
u29242 at uicvm.uic.edu