Schizophrenia and the immune system

Mitchell Maltenfort mitchm at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Sat Jan 9 11:29:14 EST 1993

	I was recently watching a PBS "Frontline" on schizophrenia, and was
struck by an idea when it was mentioned that schizophrenics have certain
white blood cell abnormalities.  Is it possible that schizophrenia is an
autoimmune disease?

	There is some precedent for this: myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune
disease in which the immune system targets the neurotransmitters that activate
muscle.  Might schizophrenia be the result of the immune system interfering
with the brain functions?

	Although I have some basic knowledge of the nervous system, I don't
know as much about the specific condition of schizophrenia or the immune
system as I should to be able to evaluate this possibility.  I'm just posting
it to get some discussion going.

Mitchell Maltenfort	Northwestern Unversity	Chicago, Illinois

mgm at nwu.edu		|:* Studying simulations or simulating studies *:|