Synaptic organization of the hypothalamus

Frank Richardson FRICHARD at biomed.med.yale.edu
Sun Jan 10 02:20:33 EST 1993

Greetings:
I am working on a proposal for further elucidating the synaptic organization
of the hypothalmus as my qualifying exam. Specifically, I am focusing on the
paraventricular nucleus (PVN) and possibly the supraoptioc nucleus (SON). I am
interested in exploring the question of how specific bursting rhythms in these
nuclei are generated and modulated either by synaptic inputs or endogenous
mechanisms. Although there are a number a recent papers describing the
physiology of single cells and anatomical studies showing GABAergic and
glutamatergic innervation of these regions, little is available on specific
cell-cell interactions (and the appropriate neurotransmitters involved). Does
anyone have any recent information relating to these issues? There is also the
problem of the antidromic inhibition observed as a possible indication of
recurrent inhibition. As far as I can tell, it is still not known whether this
is indeed recurrent inhibition (either from the neurosecratory cell axon
collaterals or via an interneuron) or an intrinsic property of the SON and PVN
neurons. Does anyone have any info on this topic?
Any comments or references would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Frank Richardson