Info request, hippocampus

Yukiharu Hadeishi YHADEISH at biomed.med.yale.edu
Sat Jan 16 21:45:46 EST 1993

In some recent post, ken at iat.holonet.net (Ken Easlon) wrote:

> A few months ago I saw a TV science program about the brain which had a
> brief scene describing an experiment where an electrode was implanted in a
> single neuron in the hippocampus of a rat.  Every time the rat passed over
> a particular location in a maze, this neuron would fire (or increase it's
> firing rate).
>
> Unfortunately I didn't note the name of researcher, and I'm not even sure
> of the name of the TV program.plI think it was Discover or a National
> Geographic Special.
>
> Also, unfortunately, I have been unable to find any citations on the subject.

I also don't know where this has been published either, but I do think I know
who did the research.  If I'm not mistaken, it was Pat Sharp, or somebody in
her lab.  You might try searching for a paper by O'Keefe on "place cells in the
hippocampus", I think you might be able to find a review paper or something.kO

Hope this helps.

  -- yh.

Yukiharu "Yuki" Hadeishi   ---   Lurker at Large
Internet:  yhadeish at biomed.med.yale.edu
The Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program will have
absolutely nothing to do with any of my opinions...