Biofeedback and Attention Deficit Disorder

Jonathan Jacobs jxj24 at po.CWRU.Edu
Sat Jan 23 00:02:57 EST 1993

In a previous article, ah190 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Stuart Pearl) says:

>Does anyone know if biofeedback techniques can be used in treating
>attention deficit disorders (ADD)?  Has there been any research done
>in this area?  Thanks.
>
>-stu
>--
>                   ---===<<< Stuart Pearl >>>===---
>                           Cleveland, Ohio
>                      ah190 at cleveland.freenet.edu
>                         --------------------

That's a good question.  I may just try to find an answer, as I am
blessed with ADD.  I was not formally diagnosed until I was 26, however.
I guess I have a comparatively milder manifestation of it than many, however.
Believe it or not, in the past few years, studies have shown that even
adults can benefit from Ritalin.  You can find an article in Am-J-Psych
of May '85, if you are interested, but it is pretty dry reading.

On a less scientific note, subjectively I think that Ritalin, when it works,
is amazing.  I have a couple of _minor_ side effects and find that the
optimal dose varies with many factors such as phase of moon.  But it is
very definitely worth it.  But it would be even better if other techniques
can be employed in conjunction to reduce the need for the drug.

Jon Jacobs
Dept. of Biomedical Engineeeeeeeering
Case Western Reserve University
Right in your back yard.