neural net simulators

John Anderson anderson at CSHL.ORG
Sun Jan 24 15:50:21 EST 1993

I tried several times to reply directly to the poster, but bounced
every time, so I'm posting to the newsgroup, since others may be
interested as well.

tbrannon at csee.lehigh.edu wrote:

>   Could you fill me in on GENESIS? Ie, obtaining, features?

GENESIS is a biological neural net simulator developed by Jim Bower's
group at Caltech.  It uses X Windows and has a nice graphical user
interface called XODUS.  You can model individual neurons or networks
of them.  There are a number of neural net simulators available.
Several of them are discussed and compared in an article in the
November 1992 issue of Trends in Neurosciences:

	E. De Schutter (1992) "A consumer guide to neuronal modeling
	software" TINS 15:462-464.

There is a table in that article giving addresses for the people
responsible for the packages it discusses.  The GENESIS contact is

	C. Ploegaert
	Division of Biology
	216-76
	California Institute of Technology
	Pasadena, CA 91125
	FAX 818-795-2088
	genesis at cns.caltech.edu

By the way, that whole issue of TINS is about modeling the nervous
system, so you might want to check it out.

John
-------
John E. Anderson
W. M. Keck Structural Biology Laboratory
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory