neural net simulators

John Anderson anderson at CSHL.ORG
Sun Jan 24 15:50:21 EST 1993

I tried several times to reply directly to the poster, but bounced
every time, so I'm posting to the newsgroup, since others may be
interested as well.

tbrannon at wrote:

>   Could you fill me in on GENESIS? Ie, obtaining, features?

GENESIS is a biological neural net simulator developed by Jim Bower's
group at Caltech.  It uses X Windows and has a nice graphical user
interface called XODUS.  You can model individual neurons or networks
of them.  There are a number of neural net simulators available.
Several of them are discussed and compared in an article in the
November 1992 issue of Trends in Neurosciences:

	E. De Schutter (1992) "A consumer guide to neuronal modeling
	software" TINS 15:462-464.

There is a table in that article giving addresses for the people
responsible for the packages it discusses.  The GENESIS contact is

	C. Ploegaert
	Division of Biology
	California Institute of Technology
	Pasadena, CA 91125
	FAX 818-795-2088
	genesis at

By the way, that whole issue of TINS is about modeling the nervous
system, so you might want to check it out.

John E. Anderson
W. M. Keck Structural Biology Laboratory
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory