Centrifugal pathway *to* retina?

Michael Hucka hucka at engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 16 06:53:30 EST 1993

I've come across at least two articles mentioning the existence of
centrifugal fibers going from higher brain areas to the retina.  One article
is Peter Sterling's "Retina", ch. 6 in _The_Synaptic_Organization_of_the_Brain_,
3rd edition, ed. Gordon Shepherd, 1990.  Sterling mentions that such pathways
have been found "in certain vertebrate orders, including fish, amphibia,
reptiles, and birds."

My question is: are such pathways known to exist in primates and humans?
If so, can anyone give me some references to sources that discuss such
pathways and their functions?
-- Mike
Mike Hucka                     | Internet: hucka at engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab  | 1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2110