e-mail in jeopardy?

George Hajduczok pgygh at ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 8 19:56:00 EST 1993

I just received this in my E-Mail and have also seen this posted
on a few "science" news groups.  Please feel free to post this
to any news groups, friend, colleagues, etc.

PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER NETWORKS

Most of you are probably aware of a plan to limit free use of
INTERNET to "scientists" transmitting huge files and to start
charging for e-mail.  Apparently, this is the result of private
telecommunications interests putting pressure on the National
Science Foundation.

If this plan is realized, it will mean that the majority of the
approximately 15 million users of INTERNET will be cut off.
Sadly, this is occurring just when the potential of this network
was starting to be realized.

Something must be DONE.  We can not let private interests deprive
us of access to INTERNET.

I suggest that all concerned users register their protest/concern
directly with Clinton and Gore via e-mail.  Their e-mail address
have recently been posted and they are:

Clinton= PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV
Gore = VICE.PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV

In addition, I also suggest that we identify the office in the
NSF which is responsible for INTERNET and register electronic
protests with them.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, especially in
locating the e-mail address for the office in the NSF.

* Carl H.A. Dassbach               BITNET:  DASSBACH at MTUS5
* Dept. of Social Sciences         INTERNET: DASSBACH at MTUS5.CTS.MTU.EDU *
* Michigan Technological Univ.  PHONE: (906)487-2115
* Houghton,  MI  49931             FAX: (906)487-2468
* U.S.A.

----------end of original message---------

If a charge for "huge" files becomes reality... what becomes the definition
of "huge"?  And if you can make money on really big files transmitted
occasionally, then someone will surely redefine "huge" to make more
money on smaller files which are sent at a greater frequency!!

George Hajduczok
Dept. of Physiology
Univ. at Buffalo