Migraines

D. Satin Zeine-Johnson ZEINEJOHNSONDS%DFYC at pcmail.usafa.af.mil
Thu Jun 17 08:07:30 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun17.010936.13908 at news.columbia.edu> ggi3 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Gabriel George Ioan) writes:

>If anyone has any advice on the subject of migraines/migraine
>treatment, I greatly appreciate it.  I would like, if possible, to
>help a close friend.  Are there any new treatment options?  Her
>migraines range from mild to very serious.  There is a history on her
>mother's side of the family of migraines.  All symptoms go away after
>menopause(obviously, indicating a hormonal connection).  Through
>experience, the only treatment has apparently been prevention(lower
>doses of morphines, other pain killers), avoidance of certain
>foods(red grape products, chocolate, etc.), avoidance of long exposure
>to smoke filled environments, along with limited success in
>"non-traditional medicine".  Once a full migraine sets in, the only
>treatment options are very high doses of demerol/synthetic morphines.
>Thank you in advance for any help.  If possible, send as e-mail; I
>will summarize if any interest.

>Gabriel.

Hi!  Have your friend go to a neurologist and get a prescription for
Imetrex - it is new, it is wonderful and I wonder how I got along without
it.  I get 2 different kinds of migraines, and am now taking amytriptyline
daily which is cutting the frequency down.  Imetrex is an injectable drug (
self injectable) that you give yourself when you feel a migraine starting.
It's wonderful - your muscles tighten for about 15-20 minutes (not
painfully, just noticeably), and by the time the muscles unlock, at least
with me, the migraine is gone.  Since I have been using Imetrex, I have had
7 migraines start, 6 of them were prevented/gotten rid of by this new
migraine med.  Most important tho, is to go see a good neurologist!

Satin
When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the
way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious
secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.
                                                            _The Tao of Pooh_