Cortex Questions

P C Knox pck at castle.ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 04:41:50 EST 1993

nlawrenc at ringer.cs.utsa.edu (P. Nick Lawrence) writes:

>Could anyone direct me to answers to the following questions:

>(2) Is there any experimental evidence that cortical neurons exist which
>function similar to the "sinus node" neurons found (eg) in the heart?
>How prevalent are they?

>Please answer by email.  Thanks!

>Nick L

If you mean are there cells in the cortex which show pacemaker
potentials, then, although I cant actually think of any off hand, the
answer is probably yes. There are cells in the thalamus which project to
the cortex which have pacemaker potentials; perhaps they drive cortical
oscillations?

Paul Knox