Surface EMG, biceps, electrode 'scope'

Jeff Boyd BOYDJ at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Thu Mar 11 22:45:00 EST 1993

(Sorry if this appears twice, I made a formatting error when I sent it
the first time and I don't think it was successfully sent.)

A question has arisen in a MUAP simulation I'm running.  If I define the
'scope' of an electrode to be the maximum number of motor units whose
activity can be detected by it during heavy exertion, what might a rough
estimate be for that maximum number for the biceps?  I've read that the
biceps normally has 750-800 motor units, and I'm wondering what the scope
of a 5mm surface disk electrode might be.

jeff