eye movements and cognition

exb0405 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au exb0405 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au
Thu Mar 11 11:08:03 EST 1993

Greetings.  I am looking for recent references on the following subject:
                             ^^^^^^
Cognition-associated eye movements while processing complex geometric stimuli.

These can include the topics of "gist" acquisition, processing peripheral
retinal input for guidance of saccades, and whole brain function during viewing
tasks.  I'm trying to steer away from the 'feature extraction' school and am
more interested in stuff like Nelson W.W and Loftus G.R. (1980) The functional
visual field during picture viewing.  "Journal of Experimental Psychology:
Human Memory and Learning", 6, 391-399.

Anything to do with eye movements and cognition.  I have recently done a
carefully controlled study and found very consistent and reproducible data in
the early stages of viewing a standard complex geometric figure (normal
subjects).  I'm trying to get a model together for early processing.  Feel free
to say anything on the subject.

Thanks for listening,

Barry Manor   b.manor at unsw.edu.au

postgraduate student in biomedical engineering, University of New South Wales,
and Westmead Hospital Neuroscience Unit, Sydney Australia.