Cystic fibrosis and epilepsy?

Peter Kaminski kaminski at netcom.com
Thu Mar 18 22:37:01 EST 1993

In <fairfiel.732500052 at helios> fairfiel at helios.usq.EDU.AU (raymond
fairfield) writes:

[teenage daughter with epilepsy and cystic fibrosis]
>and we were told there was no link between the two conditions.  We
>now find 5 or 6 similar cases in the clinic she has transferred to in
>the local state capital city. I don't accept that number as a
>coincidence.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nor is this medical advice.

The diseases seem pretty distinct, but I wonder if in these cases both
diseases are expressions of genetic disorder caused by the same
mutagen -- presumably there are other commonalities between the cases
(geography, etc.) besides just the diseases.

You might try to correlate the genetic understanding of the two diseases;
here are a couple of references I pulled (*not* from a comprehensive
search) on epilepsy and genetics (CF and genetics is pretty easy to find,
of course):

  "Localization of idiopathic generalized epilepsy on chromosome 6p in
  families of juvenile myoclonic epilepsy patients."; Neurology, Oct 1991
  v41 n10 p1651(5).

  "Second gene for epilepsy mapped. (Unverricht-Lunborg disease)"; New
  Scientist, May 25, 1991 v130 n1770 p23(1).

  "Twins shed light on inherited epilepsy."; New Scientist, May 18, 1991
  v130 n1769 p24(1).

Pete