DSP-4

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 25 11:48:52 EST 1993

In article <93Mar24.231255.37188 at acs.ucalgary.ca> jdbecker at acs.ucalgary.ca (Jason Dean Becker) writes:
>Is anyone else out there working with the noradrenergic
>neurotoxin DSP-4? I am VERY interested in discussing use of this
>compound with you.

A  gopher search of all researches funded by NIH found the following hit
for DSP-4:

-----

PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR

DE SOUZA, E B
ARC, NIDA
PERFORMING ORGANIZATION:
TITLE   Neurotoxicity of selected drugs to monoamine neurons in brain

ABSTRACT:

 The effects of selected drugs on monoamine neurons in brain has been
 examined.  Fenfluramine, in high doses, has been found to decrease
 monoamine uptake sites in rat brain suggesting a neurotoxic effect at
 these high doses.  The pharmacokinetics, and regional specificity as well
 as the time course of these effects have been examined. Also, DSP-4 h as
 been shown to have different effects on norepinephrine uptake in the
 cerebral cortex versus the hypothalamus.  These studies provide evidence
 for a heterogeneity of norepinephrine sites.

-----

Instructions on doing this search were posted yesterday to bionet.general
 - briefly - point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu,
choose the  -->  14. Searching For Biologists/ directory, and then
select:

 -->  2.  Search for All Researchers funded by NIH  <?>.

Further searches for related areas of interest may find more people to
contact.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu