UNDERGRAD QUESTION

exb0405 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au exb0405 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 10:46:15 EST 1993

In article <C3zuKH.4wL at cck.coventry.ac.uk>, djf at cch.coventry.ac.uk (Marvin Batty) writes:
> 2) Could energy be diverted from a muscle/nerve cell to power a nano-motor
> or very small led?
>
> --
>                   Marvin Batty - djf at uk.ac.cov.cck
> "And they shall not find those things, with a sort of rafia like attachment,
> that their fathers put there just the night before. At about 8 O'clock!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currents flowing along say an unmyelinated nerve
are essentially ionic fluxes, rather than electronic.  Of course they can be
detected as potential differences relative to some arbitrary point, say ground,
but as part of the detection process the ionic fluxes are transformed to
proportional electronic signals.  I think that ionic fluxes per se could not
power an LED, which relies on passing of electrons through a semiconductor to
emit light.  I assume thus that no, energy could not be diverted directly away
from nerve or muscle fibres to power an LED without some transduction process
in between.  I don't know anything about nano-motors.

Barry Manor  neuroscience/biomedical engineering Uni of NSW Sydney Australia
DoD# 620  lover of bicycles and all things green