X, Y, magno, parvo (in primate vision)

ronse at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr ronse at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 13 11:35:02 EST 1993

I read in a 1983 paper by M. Imbert that in primates the axons of the X and
Y retinal ganglion cells project respectively into the parvocellular and
magnocellular layers of the LGN.

I read in a 1987 paper by M.S. Livingstone and D.H. Hubel that the
magnocellular and parvocellular layers are not related to X or Y cells, but
that they receive projections from axons of the A and B retinal cells.

What is the 1993 opinion on this question? Are designations X and Y valid
only for cats, or also for primates?

Please answer by e-mail, I read the list irregularly.

Christian Ronse  	       	       	 ronse at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr

Universite Louis Pasteur
Departement d'Informatique
7 rue Rene Descartes    	       	    Tel. (33) 88.41.66.38
F-67000 Strasbourg        	       	  Fax. (33) 88.61.90.69