leaky integrator

Colin Prepscius cp5m at cajal.med.Virginia.EDU
Fri May 21 13:01:37 EST 1993

Articles by Softky & Koch, 93, and Levine, 91, (and many more) describe
modeling of neurons by a "leaky integrator", or "integrate and fire model".
These are essentially capacitive models of neurons, but they all seem to
include "reset"; after the neuron fires, its input (voltage) is set back to 0
(or resting potential).

My question is:  to what extent is this "reset" biologically plausible?  It
seems to me that such a reset is very different from a refractory period.