Trasnformation Spike Train Data into Continuous Waveform

SSS shah at spot.Colorado.EDU
Fri May 21 23:06:16 EST 1993

In article <1993May22.005821.28573 at cis.uab.edu> sundsted at amnese.eng.uab.edu writes:
>I am looking for information on techniques for trasnforming the information
>contained in a spike train into a continuous waveform, for easier
>analysis.  The only technique I have come across in the literature is
>that of determining the mean firing rate of a neuron, which makes
>the assumption that information is _only_ contained in the mean firing
>rate, and totally obscures any information which might be contained in
>the details of the temporal structure.

There are a number of ways that spike train data can be transformed
for analyses. Following are a few references that may be of use to
you:

1. Shah, S, Faller, W.E. and Luttges M.W., "Neural Network
Analyses of Stochastic Information: Application to Neurobiological Data,"
Bio. Sci. Inst., Volume 27, 1991, pp 230-238.

2. Sejnowski, T.J., "Skeleton Filters in the Brain," Parallel Models
of Associative Memories, Hinton G.E., and Anderson J.A. (eds), 1981,
pp 189-212

3. Faller, W.E. and Luttges M.W., "A Neural Network Simulation
of Simultaneous Single-Unit Activity Recorded from the Dragonfly
Ganglia," Bio. Sci. Instr., Volume 26, 1990, pp 201-208.

4. Shah, S., and Luttges, M.W., "A Fuzzy Representation for Neural
Spike Trains," [Submitted to IEEE].

There are some other references also, some of which may be
found in the papers mentioned above. Recent work of Aertsen, Gerstein
and some others has also discussed means for transforming
spike train data.

Regards

Safwan

--
===========================  Department of Aerospace Engineering Sciences
BioServe Space Technologies       University of Colorado at Boulder
===========================         E-Mail: shah at spot.colorado.edu