Conditioning?

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:37:41 EST 1993

erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) writes:

   I raised this question before: will an excitatory synapse onto a neuron
   that is being inhibited from firing habituate? The impression I'm getting
   is that people don't know. Is that the correct impression?

There is some evidence for an effect of this sort in the hippocampus
and neocortex -- it's known as "associative long term depression."  A
MedLine search for that phrase should get you a substantial amount of
stuff.  I don't have a list of references, but I've heard Mark Bear
talk about LTD, and I know that Cliff Abraham has done a good bit of
work on it. In any event, it's early days yet, and the phenomenology
isn't completely clear.

	-- Bill