Conditioning?

William Calvin wcalvin at stein2.u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 2 19:41:07 EST 1993

bwhite at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (William E. White ) writes:
>I was under the impression that glycine was required for the NMDA channel
>to operate.  Is this in fact true?

Glutamate is the transmitter at NMDA synapses. N-methyl-D-aspartate is
merely the most efficient molecule to open those channels, but isn't the
neurotransmitter.

>Is there any mechanism yet for memory lasting beyond several days, and
>more importantly for converting LTP into this type of memory?

Changes in the size of individual synaptic endings, and in the number of
them per pre-post cell pair, are possibilities with evidence elsewhere.
For LTP, life is complicated.
    William H. Calvin   WCalvin at U.Washington.edu